Saturday, October 5, 2013

One of the Many Benefits of a Flipped Class

This is my first year flipping my class and it has been quite the experience.  On Wednesday, I had a student return to school from a five day absence.  I happened to be giving a quiz on that day.  I gave the student the quiz without really thinking about the fact that he had missed five days of school.  After the quiz, he came up to me and I was expecting him to say that he had no idea that we had a quiz and that he didn't know the material.  I was waiting for him to say "Can I retake the quiz?"  To my surprise he said "Was that all I missed?  Did you guys cover anything else while I was gone?"  I told him no, that as long as he had watched the videos he was caught up.  

This student was absent for five days and was able to keep up with the work by watching the videos and doing the homework on his own. Now, this student is a very good, high functioning student and the material was not that difficult.  The point is that it is easier to make up material in a flipped class then in the traditional classroom.  In a traditional class, if you miss the lecture that is pretty much it.  It is not like a teacher is going to perform the lecture in its entirety for every student who is sick or on a field trip.  In a flipped class, that is completely possible.  

Creating a flipped class is very challenging and labor intensive in the beginning but it is worth it.  I am so happy that I decided to move to this model.

Thanks,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment